Monday, August 9, 2010

Shavige kheer

Shavige/vermicelli kheer is simple, easy and can be made in a jiffy. It was the first ever sweet dish I learnt to make. And every time my college friends visited me, I would make this. This is for my friend V who'd always complain that Shavige kheer was the only decent thing that I could make back then.

Here's what you'll need:
Vermicelli - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup. I prefer less sugar, alter this according to your taste.
Milk - 3 cups
Ghee - 2 tsp
Raisin, Cashewnuts - few
Saffron - few strands (optional)
Cardamon - 2-3 few pods crushed

Heat ghee in a pan and fry raisin and cashew nut till light brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, fry vermicelli till it turns light brown. Add milk and let the vermicelli cook till its soft. You can add a little water to alter the consistency of the kheer.
Add sugar, give the kheer a good mix and throw in the fried raisin, cashew nuts and cardamom powder.
I'd like to add the saffron strands towards the end, before turning the stove off, it gives a nice look to the kheer. But this is optional.
Refrigerate it and enjoy cold shavige payasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment